Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Raid for DB server

Hi guys,
quick question. i have a DELL Poweredge 6850, 4 dual core processor. my
problem is what raid configuration would be best suited for my server? I'm
thinking of raid 10.
Will wait for your response.
Thanks,
LouieHello,
My suggestion will be to go for RAID10 if your DB doing a lot of WRITE and
RAID 5 if lots of reads.
Usually system drive [C] will be mirrored. It is a good if you separate .mdf
and .ldf files into 2 controllers
if you have enough space and multiple controllers.
Read this URL:-
http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/ateQuestionNResponse/0,289625,sid5_cid619546_tax298728,00.html
Thanks
Hari
"Louie Lubangco" <llubangco@.iti-consulting.com> wrote in message
news:OP5qQy99GHA.2408@.TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Hi guys,
> quick question. i have a DELL Poweredge 6850, 4 dual core processor. my
> problem is what raid configuration would be best suited for my server? I'm
> thinking of raid 10.
> Will wait for your response.
> Thanks,
> Louie
>|||Thanks for the fast reply. another question. i'm not sure if this raid
controller can handle raid 10. does the internal and external count as
separate controller?
PERC4DC-PCI Express, 128MB Cache, 1-Internal 1-External Channel
"Hari Prasad" <hari_prasad_k@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ep$$3299GHA.3860@.TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
> My suggestion will be to go for RAID10 if your DB doing a lot of WRITE and
> RAID 5 if lots of reads.
> Usually system drive [C] will be mirrored. It is a good if you separate
> .mdf and .ldf files into 2 controllers
> if you have enough space and multiple controllers.
> Read this URL:-
> http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/ateQuestionNResponse/0,289625,sid5_cid619546_tax298728,00.html
> Thanks
> Hari
> "Louie Lubangco" <llubangco@.iti-consulting.com> wrote in message
> news:OP5qQy99GHA.2408@.TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Hi guys,
>> quick question. i have a DELL Poweredge 6850, 4 dual core processor. my
>> problem is what raid configuration would be best suited for my server?
>> I'm thinking of raid 10.
>> Will wait for your response.
>> Thanks,
>> Louie
>

No comments:

Post a Comment